Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cartography: Module 3 – Cartographic Design

     This week lab focused on incorporating Gestalt principles in cartographic design. Employing these principles aids in conveying a visual representation of the intellectual hierarchy of a map. To that end I graphically emphasized thematic symbols while deemphasizing less important information. I tried to create contrast, a sense of balance, and an effective figure-ground relationship.
     I created my map in ArcMap using the in-program design tools. I practiced using the clipping tool and generating a new layer (using select data from a larger data set). I also explored the sizing of thematic elements by way of a data layer’s symbology properties. I also toyed with typography and some of the more advanced (that is, not default) settings like splined text. I also had to move the various layers around to make sure they displayed properly. Of all of the design elements, I feel I spent the most time on color. I went through several iterations of color choice until I landed on the soft purples.
A map of the public schools located within Ward 7 of the District of Columbia. 
      My map highlights the primary and secondary schools within Ward 7 of Washington D.C. The schools are symbolized the same but sized differently. Primary schools are sized the smallest and high schools the largest. Seven neighborhoods are noted along with the presence of local roads, parks and water resources. Highways and interstates are also included. Like the school symbology, the highways and interstates are colored similarly but weighted differently (with interstates being the thickest lines and state highways the thinnest). I established a figure-ground relationship by using a pale purple for Ward 7 and a darker purple for the surrounding DC area. In addition, I chose a darker red for the highways and pale grey for the roads within Ward 7. Contrast is created by variably sizing the thematic elements and by using a color scheme that visually differentiates the map elements. I attempted to balance the elements of the map by opposing them in opposite corners of the map. The inset map takes up some of the empty space created by the greater DC area while the legend, scale, and north arrow oppose it diagonally. I also tried to position Ward 7’s perimeter as centered as possible. I went with a portrait orientation for the layout because it created less empty space and allowed me to use a larger scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment