Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Cartography: Module 4 -- Map Elements and Typography

     This week we further explored map design by practicing typography. The assignment was to place various labels around Marathon Key, Florida. Some of the labels presented challenges that required decisions to be made about placement. That is, there are optimal places for labels to go when they are to accompany a symbol. With this in mind, the small area of the land mass of Marathon required me to make some decisions and bend some cartographic typography rules. There are two labels, one for a key (Duck Key) and a country club (Sombrero Country Club) , that overlay the border of the key with the ocean. I chose to place them here because neither a mask (either around the letters or as a text fill background) nor a leading line looked proper. In the case of the text mask, the size of the type was too small for it to even be made out and created more confusion than it was worth. In creating a background fill for the text it obscured the geographic features even more than leaving the plain text. I thought to include leader lines but they looked distracting and out of place. I tried to keep with the general pattern of the rest of the labels. Thus, I chose to keep their placement despite their overlap and slight clarity issues (technically, overprinting). I feel the labels look much more uniform and harmonious despite some overprinting.
     When labeling the water features I used italics and colored the text blue to easily differentiate it from the other labels. For two of the water features I broke the general rule to keep type horizontal. In the case of Boot Key Harbor (southwestern portion of the map), it is such a small area that I decided to follow the curve of the water feature with the label. I did the same with Vaca Key Bight to avoid overlap with the country club label. For the key (island) labels I chose to use all uppercase letters to distinguish them as areal entities as opposed to simply place names (like a city or public place).

     I made use of the skills I learned in last week’s cartographic design lab in composing the remaining elements of this assignment. The title and inset balance each other on a diagonal from the top left to the bottom right. This is logical as we not only read left to right but these elements fill the empty space Marathon does not fill. I chose a color scheme that adequately creates contrast and contributes to proper figure-ground relationships. I employed drop shadows and gradient fills to create a visual hierarchy by emphasizing the small geographic area of Marathon and weighting the thematic symbols.

Map of Marthon Key, Florida with particular keys, water features, cities, and facilities noted.
This map helped to hone typographic skills in cartographic design.
The small area of Marathon presented textual design challenges that I had to overcome.
     My map shows Marathon Key, Florida with particular facilities, cities, water features, and keys (islands) noted. It was entirely designed and altered within CorelDraw x7. Essential tools were the Text tool for all of the labeling, various Shape tools for thematic symbols and borders, and grouping objects. I enlarged the area of Marathon by grouping all the curves that comprised it. The map is not to scale and mentioned on the map itself. This re-sizing eventually created an issue when exporting my map. After some head scratching I realized this was due to the fact that the frame of Marathon extended beyond the page dimensions. As a result, it looked like I had a white matte to the right and the left of the map. To fix this I cropped the image in MS Paint. This map was a great exercise for learning to implement the rules of typography as they apply to cartographic design.  

No comments:

Post a Comment