Friday, January 23, 2015

Cartography: Module 2 – Introduction to Cartographic Design

     The aim of the module this week is to work on cartographic design skills. Particularly, I worked on learning basic graphic design skills to edit and embellish my map. The initial map information was loaded into ArcMap (.mxd) and then exported in a format (.eps) to be loaded into CorelDraw 7. Once in CorelDraw, I added all of the essential map elements and more. The title, legend, city text labels, and symbols on the map were all generated. The geographic area of Florida and scale bar were edited in a manner that maintained their accuracy. The ultimate objective was to create a map that represents, and helps develop, my cartographic aesthetic.
     My map shows the state of Florida with its 67 counties, major cities, and water features. I created a symbol for, and labeled, the state capitol. Two other major cities, Tampa and Daytona Beach, are also labeled. The map includes some state symbols. I used more than a few of these in order to fill up some of the empty spaces on the map. In all I included the state flower, bird, animal, marine mammal, and seal. Tools that proved useful were the text tool, shape tools (ellipse, complex star, rectangle), bitmap tools, and most of the tools within an object’s property menu.

     
Map of Florida displaying major cities, water features, and counties. Personalized with
various state symbol imagery and text, point, and legend customization.  
     I thought this exercise was great for "crash coursing" graphic design. It was, at times, overwhelming. There are many ways to customize any element and when you are first learning the lay of the land it is a daunting task. After much experimentation I am feeling like a pro. Of course, I am far from it but I am less intimidated. If you can read a manual or watch a video online, then it can be figured out.

Map imagery sources: orange blossoms, seal, bird, land mammal, marine mammal.

No comments:

Post a Comment