Sunday, January 11, 2015

Intro to GIS: Week 1 - ArcGIS Overview

A basic map constructed in ArcMap to demonstrate the understanding of fundamental GIS concepts. 
     The aim of the first lab assignment for this course is to gain an understanding of the fundamental concepts and tools in ArcGIS/ArcMap. This necessitates the development of a vocabulary for effective communication in regards to these programs. Thus, in addition to learning tools and utilities within ArcGIS/ArcMap I had to get comfortable with terms like shapefile, vector, and layer. The result of this lab is the generation of a map that demonstrates the degree of my understanding of ArcMap. These skills are meant to become the foundation for the following weeks.
     The lab is a beginner’s walkthrough of how to load data into ArcMap and subsequently manipulate that information through the use of various tools. As part of the assignment I had to change the attributes of a layer. For example, I altered the color scheme and the representation of the data of the map (that is the population of world countries). Altering the manner the data is displayed impacted the way the legend summarized the data. I also learned how to add a title, scale bar, and a north arrow (in addition to the legend). All of these can be edited to capture the user’s personal flare.
     Upon completion of the exercise, I had a map that displayed the populations of world countries with a title, legend, scale, and north arrow. I gained an understanding of tools like the measure tool, and how to call up information about a layer (the attribute table), and how to customize the look of features in a layer. This exercise took longer than I thought I would but it absolutely paid off in that I feel more comfortable with the interface and with experimenting with certain functions. At times I was stuck but I had the ArcGIS Help module and felt myself gaining an intuitive sense for how to fix an issue. I am far from an expert after one lab but I can already see myself becoming addicted to map making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment