Thursday, November 3, 2016

Special Topics: Module 8 - Biscayne Shipwrecks (Part 1)

     Time to sink in (bad joke) to some shipwrecks. That's right. These ships went down near Biscayne Bay, Florida. They don't make jokes about you for nothing Florida. Way to s(t)ink, I kid. I love my home state. This assignment made me feel a twinge of home sickness. Luckily I will be heading that way soon and maybe snorkel this maritime heritage trail.
     This week I explored two websites looking for data to use for this marine archaeology project. The first website provided the historical chart while the latter is where I acquired DEM data for Biscayne National Park. Point data for the heritage trail was provided to us care of UWF as was the benthic data.  Finding the DEM was a bit of a chore as the data I thought I was accessing led to another website/tab several times before I actually reached the data. And, often that data wasn't what I was looking for. Perseverance is the order of the day. Once I downloaded the historical chart I georeferenced it. The DEM/bathymetric data was clipped to a digitized boundary of the park. The data is now prepped for use in the coming weeks.
     The final map deliverable is seen below. It shows the benthic data, historic chart, and DEM data all clipped to the park boundary. The shipwreck locations display in each data frame giving them context in different visualizations within the same space. A short description is also included on the map that briefly discusses the map content.

A map deliverable displaying data for Biscayne National Park, Florida
 prepared for analysis in the coming week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment